The two Koreas have agreed to call a quits to their latest standoff with both sides reaching an agreement Tuesday morning to de-escalate tensions according to South Korea’s national security chief, Kim Kwan-jin.
The terms of the deal mean that South Korea will get an apology for recent military escalation by the North, and the South has agreed that it will stop broadcasting propaganda towards the north.
According to Yonhap, North Korea says it “regrets” that South Korean soldiers were injured by landmines and lifts its “semi-state of war” under an agreement by the two countries.
South Korea’s security chief expressed hope moving forward.
“I wish that we can build the new South and North Korea relationship that our people (wish for) by sincerely carrying out the agreed issues and building trust through dialogue and cooperation,” Kim Kwan-jin said.
“During the meeting, it is very meaningful in the aspect that the North apologized over the landmine incident and that they agreed on making efforts to prevent such incidents from reoccurring and easing tension.”
North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency also confirmed an agreement had been reached.
The agreement additionally stipulates that more talks between the two countries will take place soon in either of the two country’s capitals.